c. the many volcanoes that surrounded the islands
2. How did the relative location of the Korean Peninsula influence the development of Korean civilization
a. Because it was near Japan, Korea was influenced by Japanese culture, politics, and technology
3. What did Zen Buddhism contribute to Japanese culture?
a. a focus on self-reliance, meditation, and devotion to duty
4. How did the Shinto belief system develop in early Japan?
a. Clans erected shrines to worship their ancestors
5. Which statement best describes Korea’s relationship with China during the Silla and Koryo dynasties?
b. China strongly influenced Korea’s Culture and technology, which helped Korea develop its own unique culture.
6. Why did Japan adopt elements of Chinese society?
c. Korean success adopting Chinese customs convinced Japan to do likewise.
7. How did Confucianism impact women in Korea under the Silla dynasty?
a. It kept them subservient to men
8. Which of the following is true about the structure of the feudal society developed in Japan?
b. The samurai controlled the daimyo, the large landowners
9. What impact did the hangul have on Koreans?
c. It made it possible for more people to read
10. Which statement is true of the work from which this excerpt has been taken?
c. It is the word’s first full-length novel.